This innovative report provides statistical insights to show the power of planned gifts, the role of planned gifts in campaigns, and guidance for projecting planned gifts based on realization data.
The State of Planned Giving in Fundraising report grew out of a desire and need to answer questions from our nonprofit partners about legacy giving. It compiles data from multiple projects conducted by CCS Fundraising’s Gift Planning Practice Group, including two surveys of 600 nonprofits about legacy giving, and draws on key research from Giving USA, Dr. Russell James, and other sources. Key findings include:
- Legacy gifts comprised more than 16% of overall fundraising and 11% of campaigns.
- The average legacy gift is significantly more than the average annual gift.
- Unknown legacy gifts are likely of considerable value.
- No clear relationship exists between legacy gift revenue and endowment size.
- Legacy societies are underutilized as a powerful donor acquisition and retention tool.
The 2024 CCS Philanthropy Pulse report serves as a guide for fundraisers, offering insights into the modern strategies nonprofits employ for development and highlighting avenues for fundraising success.